Learn how to judge ripeness so you can always use the perfect mango in your dish!
- Don’t focus on color. It is not the best indicator of ripeness.
- Squeeze the mango gently. A ripe mango will give slightly.
- Use your experience with produce such as peaches or avocados, which also become softer as they ripen.
- Ripe mangos will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem ends.
- The red color that appears on some varieties is not an indicator of ripeness. Always judge by feel.
Thanks to mango.org for sharing their content. Photos and content courtesy of the National Mango Board, mango.org.